What To Do When Home Remedies Do Not Provide Permanent Relief
If the home remedies fail to bring you the desired results or the UTI flares up again, do not take it casually. Be very proactive and consult a specialist doctor for proper diagnosis and medications.Complete the course of antibiotics that your doctor prescribes and go for timely follow-ups until you are absolutely fine.
Preventive Measures For Urinary Tract Ifections
- Drink lots of water.
- Urinate immediately every time after you have sexual intercourse with your partner.
- Donât hold back urine as it may also cause the bacteria to stick.
- Wear cotton panties.
- Have a balanced and nutritious diet.
- Avoid bathing in a bathtub as it may provide a site for the bacteria to grow
- Avoid douching and scented pads.
- After using the toilet, always wipe in the direction of front to back as this may avoid any germs from getting into the urethral opening.
- Wash your hands properly every time after you use the toilet.
- Avoid alcohol or caffeinated drinks when you are suffering from the UTI.
What Are Possible Complications Of A Urinary Tract Infection
Most UTIs cause no complications if they spontaneously resolve quickly or if treated early in the infection with appropriate medications. However, there are a number of complications that can occur if the UTI becomes chronic or rapidly advances.
- Chronic infections may result in urinary strictures, abscesses, fistulas, kidney stones, and, rarely, kidney damage or bladder cancer.
- The rapid advancement of UTIs can lead to dehydration, kidney failure, sepsis, and death.
- Pregnant females with untreated UTIs may develop premature delivery and low birth weight for the infant and run the risk of rapid advancement of the infection.
Also Check: Lemon Water For Urinary Tract Infection
Drink Plenty Of Water
Although urinating can be painful when you have a UTI, its important to drink as many fluids as possible particularly water. Most adults should aim to drink between six and eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day.
The more you drink, the more youll urinate, which can help flush harmful bacteria from the urinary tract.
Cut Bladder Irritants From Your Diet
When you have a UTI, caffeine, alcohol, spicy food, nicotine, carbonated drinks, and artificial sweeteners can irritate your bladder further, making it harder for your body to heal, according to the Cleveland Clinic. Focus on healthy foods, such as high-fiber carbohydrates , that are good for your digestive health, says Holly Lucille, ND, RN, a naturopathic doctor in private practice in West Hollywood, California, and the author of Creating and Maintaining Balance: A Womans Guide to Safe, Natural Hormone Health.
Also Check: How To Help Urinary Incontinence
Add Vitamin C To Your Diet
Not only does vitamin C help strengthen your immune system, but it may also acidify your urine, which limits the growth of some bacteria and may prevent urinary tract infections from occurring. Just be careful of eating too many acidic foods when you have a UTI, as they can potentially irritate your bladder, which may only make your UTI symptoms worse.
How Can Someone Prevent A Urinary Tract Infection
Prevention of urinary tract infections is similar to some of the home remedies mentioned previously.
Recommended Reading: Urinary Tract Infection In Pregnancy
Fight Those Germs With Horseradish
- Add 1 tablespoon of grated fresh horseradish to 1 glass warm water or apple cider vinegar.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to it. Drink it.
Horseradish has an antimicrobial effect that comes in handy when you are suffering from a UTI. It contains a compound called allyl isothiocyanate, which gets rid of a wide range of bacteria, including E. Coli, the main cause of urinary tract infections.2223
Tip: Horseradish should be fresh or it might not be as effective in treating UTI.
Soothe Your Infection With Ginger Tea
- Add 2 tablespoons of fresh crushed ginger to boiling water.
- Let it simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Strain it and drink 2 to 3 cups a day. Add honey for a better taste.
Ginger has antimicrobial properties that work against a variety of bacterial strains.20
While chewing on a piece of ginger will also have positive effects, its best to consume it as a tea to treat your UTI. The more liquid you drink, the faster you flush out UTI bacteria.
Recommended Reading: How To Help A Urinary Tract Infection
Don’t Miss: How Much Is Azo Urinary Pain Relief
Can Utis Go Away On Their Own
Most UTIs will require antibiotics, as true infections left untreated can result in more serious events like pyelonephritis with or without an abscess, a bloodstream infection, and even the possibility of kidney failure. Documented UTIs should be managed under the guidance of a healthcare professional.
Avoid Bladder Irritating Foods When You Have A Uti
Certain foods are known bladder irritants – citrus or very acidic foods, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, alcohol – these can all irritate the bladder, leading to bladder leaks. And, if you currently have a UTI, they may affect you even more. Try to watch out for these common bladder irritants to prevent further irritation to your bladder and UTI.
Read Also: Medical Treatment Of Urinary Incontinence
Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infection In Males
Do you have frequent, painful UTIs? You might be amazed by how much you can do at home to ease your pain.
Taking an antibiotic isnt really the only way to get over urinary tract infection symptoms.
In reality, some solutions dont require a prescription and they can be performed right at home in addition to any treatment your doctor has suggested. But beware with do-it-yourself home solutions and check in with your doctor prior to attempting a new method.
For example, mixing sodium bicarbonate and water as a drink to assist combat a urinary tract infection can be dangerous if you drink too much of it. About 5 percent of baking soda-related poisonings in California in between 2000 and 2012 were from drinking baking soda to alleviate a UTI, according to February 2014 research in the Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics.
Urinate When The Need Arises
Frequent urination puts pressure on bacteria in the urinary tract, which can help to clear them out.
It also reduces the amount of time that bacteria in the urine are exposed to cells in the urinary tract, reducing the risk of them attaching and forming an infection.
Always urinate as soon as possible when the urge strikes to and treat UTIs.
Read Also: Urinary Tract Infection In Babies
Also Check: Azo Urinary Pain Relief How To Take
About Cranberry Juice And Utis
For several years, unsweetened cranberry juice was thought to help flush away bacteria and keep them from sticking to the bladder wall, perhaps helping to prevent or lower frequent UTIs. But a review of 14 research studies released December 2013 in the journal American Family Physician showed that cranberry juice might not have genuine advantages.
While more research studies may clear up this problem, for now, cranberry juice is no more suggested as a UTI fighter.
Wipe From Front To Back
According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases , UTIs can develop when bacteria from the rectum or feces gain access to the urethra. This small channel allows urine to flow out of the body.
Once bacteria are in the urethra, they can travel up into other urinary tract organs, where they can lead to infections.
Read Also: Urinary Tract Infection And Incontinence
Avoid Vitamin C If You’re Already Experiencing Uti Symptoms
Vitamin C is known to help prevent UTIs by acidifying the urine, which can kill certain bacteria present in the urinary tract. But Dr. Sherry warns if you already have a UTI or are experiencing real symptoms of one, vitamin C will not be effective in killing off bacteria. This is because unless you know the exact bacteria causing the UTI, vitamin Calthough helpfulmay not be doing enough to kill the infection youre experiencing.
Is It Possible To Prevent Urinary Tract Infections With Diet And Supplements
It is possible to reduce the chance that a UTI will develop with dietary methods and some supplements but prevention of all UTIs is unlikely with these methods.
- Supplements such as eating cranberries, taking vitamin C tablets, and eating yogurt and other substances also may reduce the chance that a UTI will develop .
- However, as stated in the prevention section, changes in a person’s lifestyle may reduce the chance of getting a UTI as good as, if not better than, any diet or supplement.
Don’t Miss: What To Drink To Help Urinary Tract Infection
Can Urinary Tract Infections Be Prevented
These steps may help reduce the chance of getting UTIs:
- Drink plenty of water every day.
- Drink cranberry juice. Large amounts of vitamin C limit the growth of some bacteria by acidifying the urine. Vitamin C supplements have the same effect.
- Urinate when you feel the need. Do not wait.
- Take showers instead of tub baths.
- Clean the genital area before and after sex, and urinate shortly after sex.
- Women should not use feminine hygiene sprays or scented douches.
- Cotton underwear and loose fitting clothes help keep the area around the urethra dry. Tight clothes and nylon underwear trap moisture. This can help bacteria grow.
- Repeated bouts of urinary tract infections can be treated with small doses of regular antibiotics.
Please consult your health care provider with any questions or concerns you may have about UTIs.
Crystals Forming From Cat Utis
In addition to inflammation, crystals are often found in cats affected with UTIs. Struvite crystals are the most common type, and they occur in urine thats too alkaline. The urine of a carnivore should be slightly acidic. Consuming high-quality animal proteins and plenty of moisture will maintain this balance. Dry commercial foods are a major culprit in producing alkaline urine, so one of the first steps you can take to prevent and treat urinary problems is changing your pets diet to a high quality canned food, homemade diet, or raw diet thats properly balanced.
Recommended Reading: What Supplements Are Good For Urinary Tract Infection
Drinking Plenty Of Fluids
Drinking lots of water is one of the best home treatments for UTI. Dehydration is itself a risk factor for developing a UTI, and regular urination can help remove bacteria from the urinary tract, which can help prevent infection.
In fact, studies show people who increase their water intake from less than 1.5 daily liters to 2.2 liters a day experience fewer UTIs.
Its commonly recommended to drink around 64 ounces of water daily, but everyones hydration needs are different. As a general rule, drink water throughout the day and whenever you feel thirsty.
When you are well-hydrated, your urine is typically clear or straw colored. You should also avoid caffeinated or alcoholic drinks when you have a UTI or want to prevent one.
Is There Instant Relief From Utis
Yes, it is possible to get immediate relief from a urinary tract infection by drinking lots of water very quickly.
Cranberry juice remains a product of choice to fight against this condition. You can also opt for a massage of the lower abdomen, which usually offers almost instant results.
Mix 1 drop of palmarosa EO with 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil. With all of this, massage your lower abdomen at least 3 times a day.
Recommended Reading: How To Treat Urinary Incontinence Naturally
Parsley Water Has A Cleansing Effect:
An important part of parsley is Apigenin. It is a diuretic and is anti-inflammatory.
- The bacteria residing inside your bladder or urethra can be flushed out by these diuretics.
- Being anti-inflammatory, it will relieve the infection and also aid your body in healing.
- Corn silk tea is also effective in fighting UTIs since it possesses the same properties as that of parsley.
When To See A Vet
These at-home treatments and remedies may be effective for clearing up minor infections, but more serious infections need to be treated by a professional animal doctor.
If your cat is experiencing mild or moderate symptoms, you can try these remedies to relieve their symptoms. If their symptoms show no sign of improvement in a few days, talk to a veterinarian. If your cat seems to be in pain or is unable to pass urine, see a vet immediately. This could be a sign of urethral obstruction, which can be fatal if not treated within 24 to 48 hours.
A vet may be able to prescribe antibiotics to target the harmful bacteria. Be sure to give your cat the full dose of prescribed antibiotics to prevent the UTI from returning or becoming resistant to treatment.
Even if youre pursuing professional treatment, these remedies can be effectively used alongside antibiotics to strengthen the bladder and balance your cats pH levels. Some can also be used as a daily supplement to prevent the UTI from coming back.
Recommended Reading: Urinary Tract Infection Treatment Guidelines
Practice Good Personal Hygiene To Prevent Uti
Prevention is always better than cure. Maintaining proper personal hygiene is crucial in preventing UTIs.
If you are a woman, always wipe from front to back, especially after defecating.29 This reduces the chances of bacteria from your bowels entering your urethra. You should help children inculcate this habit from a very young age.
Change your sanitary napkins regularly, avoid taking long bubble baths, and do not use perfumed products near your urethra.30 Keeping it clean and dry down there prevent an infection.
Both men and women should wear breathable underwear and should shower regularly to prevent the build up of bacteria near the urethra.31
Water Is Your Best Friend
When you first notice burning when you use the restroom, its tempting to reduce your water intake. After all, that will prevent the pain, right?
It seems counter-intuitive, but you need to flush out your system. You should drink plenty of water to help your body remove the E. Coli. Dont overdo it, but drink as much water as possible in those crucial first 24 hours.
Also Check: Acv For Urinary Tract Infection
Clove Oil Myrrh Oil Oregano Oil Tea Tree Oil:
These are the essential oils for UTI treatment.
- Clove oil is anti-microbial, anti-fungal and anti-viral. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory. It can be used to remove pain and promote better healing.
- Myrrh oil is anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-parasitic. From ancient times it has been used to treat wounds and as an antiseptic.
- Myrrh oil can also be used in a cold or warm compress. It can be consumed within or can also be rubbed on the skin.
- Oregano oil has been tested to be clinical inhibiting the growth of many types of bacteria, especially a certain E. coli.
- Oregano oil has anti-bacterial properties. It also prevents antibiotic-resistant strain creation. It may even be superior to normal antibiotics because it has no side-effects.Oregano oil contains glucosides. They help in controlling blood sugar levels which helps in preventing kidney failure. It also contains anti-oxidants that protect your cells from free radical damage. This also leads to different kinds of illness.
Drink Lots Of Water And Empty Your Bladder Often
According to Chicago-based OB/GYN, Jessica Shepherd, MD, drinking lots of water when you are experiencing UTI symptoms can help flush away the bacteria. Draining your bladder frequently is essential to getting rid of the bacteria, Dr. Shepherd explains. The more water you drink, the more youll have to relieve yourself.
You May Like: Symptoms Of Pinworms In Urinary Tract
What Is Urinary Tract Infection
The urinary tract comprises of organs which are involved in making and transporting urine out of the body. These organs include a pair of kidneys and ureters, a bladder, and a urethra.
A urinary tract infection is therefore, an infection of any or a combination of these organs. In 90% of the cases, infection can be caused due to bacteria called E.coli or Staphylococcus saprophyticus.
These bacteria are either neutral or beneficial until it stays in the digestive tract however when it migrates to urinary tract, it causes infection.
In some cases, it can be caused due to fungi or other common bacteria that causes UTI are Klebsiella species, and Proteus species.
Symptoms of UTI include lower abdominal pain, flank pain, bloody urine, or fever. However, sometimes you might have no symptom at all, which is described as asymptomatic bacteriuria.
Nowâ¦You might be wondering how these bacteria gain access to urinary organs.
There are few conditions that can help the bacteria or fungus to access the organs and cause an infection.
- Sexual intercourse
We will discuss in detail regarding these factors later in the articleâ¦
Looking For More Natural Remedies
As you may know, Im extremely passionate about providing women with all the details they need to make informed decisions about their reproductive health.
Im not in any way against pharmaceuticals when they are necessary and indicated for a particular treatment. Antibiotics have a time and a place in our health. But when other options are safe and effective, I like to offer women choices that include natural options they can administer themselves.
If youre into that sort of balance too, Id love to send you an email when I post new articles. Hop on my mailing list HERE so I can share my research with you!
You May Like: Urinary Tract Infection Symptoms Male Treatment
Also Check: How To Clear Urinary Tract Infection