What Is A Cat Uti
Feline lower urinary tract disease is the formal medical term for a cat UTI. It describes any condition or bacterial infection that affects the bladder or the urethra of cats.
UTIs occur when bacteria gets into the bladder via the urethra. This build-up and growth of bacteria causes an infection. If you leave UTIs to their own devices, they can be extremely harmful for cats and potentially cause other problems such as bladder or kidney stones.
The Link Between Utis And Sex: Causes And How To Prevent Them
One common way women get urinary tract infections is by having sex. But that doesn’t mean you have to banish sex from your life to prevent painful infections.
Pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections arent the only consequences of having sex. For some women, a urinary tract infection can also be a result.
Blame it on anatomy, which makes a UTI more likely for women than for men, says Sujata Yavagal, MD, a urogynecologist at Baptist Health South Florida in Miami.
Is It Possible To Prevent Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections With A Vaccine
Currently, there are no commercially available vaccines for UTIs, either recurrent or first-time infections. One of the problems in developing a vaccine is that so many different organisms can cause infection a single vaccine would be difficult to synthesize to cover them all. Even with E. coli causing about most infections, the subtle changes in antigenic structures that vary from strain to strain further complicates vaccine development even for E. coli. Researchers are still investigating ways to overcome the problems in UTI vaccine development.
Recommended Reading: Azo Urinary Tract Defense Antibacterial Plus Urinary Pain Relief Tablets
You May Like: How To Clean Out Urinary Tract
Avoid Bladder Irritating Foods When You Have A Uti
Certain foods are known bladder irritants – citrus or very acidic foods, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, alcohol – these can all irritate the bladder, leading to bladder leaks. And, if you currently have a UTI, they may affect you even more. Try to watch out for these common bladder irritants to prevent further irritation to your bladder and UTI.
How To Relieve Uti Pain At Night
At night, relieve UTI pain by drinking green tea or cranberry juice. Avoid caffeine altogether.
If you have excruciating pain, you can go to the restroom and use the jet spray to spray water on your private parts. This is sure to reduce your UTI pain.
You can also apply tea tree oil or coconut oil to relieve UTI pain at night.
Read Also: Can Diabetes Cause Urinary Tract Infection
Urinary Tract Infections During Pregnancy: Symptoms Treatment And Common Questions
In addition, as the uterus grows throughout pregnancy, it can put pressure on the bladder, making it more difficult to empty completely.
Pregnancy can also make a UTI more difficult to treat, which can have serious consequences, including pyelonephritis preterm labor low birth weight and .
A urinalysis and a urine culture are routinely performed at an initial prenatal visit to screen for UTIs, but if you’re pregnant and suspect you may have an infection, seek medical attention quickly.
How Can You Cure A Uti
For all the anti-antibiotic people out there, I have bad news. You cant cure the infection with natural remedies. Sorry. Though there are natural solutions that might help prevent UTI , all the unsweetened cranberry juice in the world wont actually help you. In fact, in the study Cranberry juice fails to prevent recurrent urinary tract infection, cranberry juice cocktail had the exact same effect as a placebo in recurrent UTIs. Barbosa-Cesnik C, et al. . Cranberry juice fails to prevent recurrent urinary tract infection: Results from a randomized placebo-controlled trial. DOI: Though you probably guessed that from the study title.
The only way to totally get rid of a UTI is with antibiotics. If youre experiencing symptoms, its best to get to the doctor quickly. Theyll test your urine, and if its indeed a UTI, youll get a weeklong course of antibiotics. Usually, your symptoms go away in a few days and you can enjoy pain-free peeing again. But you must continue your antibiotics until youve completed the prescription.
You May Like: Causes Of Urinary Urgency In Males
How To Treat A Cat Uti At Home
A cat UTI is more common in female cats than male cats.
However, male cats can have serious complications from UTIs as well.
Cats diagnosed with idiopathic cystitis can also have crystal formation. Male cats may experience blockage in their narrow urethras, which can become deadly.
Urinary tract infections occur when bacteria grows in the bladder.
UTIs and bladder infections usually cause physical discomfort, although some show no signs at all.
Cats with UTIs typically exhibit:
- Blood in urine
Dont Miss: Who Did Phoebe Cates Marry
Practice Good Sexual Hygiene
The also says that sexual intercourse introduces bacteria and other microbes from outside the body to the urinary tract. Practicing good sexual hygiene can help to reduce the number of bacteria that people can transfer during intercourse and other sexual acts.
Examples of good sexual hygiene include:
- urinating before and immediately after sex
- using barrier contraception, such as a condom
- washing the genitals, especially the foreskin, before and after engaging in sexual acts or intercourse
- washing the genitals or changing condoms if switching from anal sex to vaginal sex
- ensuring that sexual partners are aware of any current or previous UTIs
You May Like: Purina Pro Plan Urinary Vs Purina One Urinary
Uti Causes And Risk Factors
Prostatitis, which is an infection of the prostate, shares many of the same symptoms as UTIs.
What Are Urinary Tract Infection Risk Factors
Risk factors for developing urinary tract infections include the following:
- Wiping from back to front following a bowel movement, particularly in women, can introduce bacteria into the urethra.
- Sexual intercourse can push bacteria from the vaginal area into the urethra.
- Holding the urine too long: When someone holds it in, more bacteria have a chance to multiply, which can cause or worsen a UTI.
- Kidney stones can make it hard to empty the bladder completely, which can also lead to urine remaining in the bladder too long.
You May Like: How To Help A Urinary Tract Infection
What Exactly Is A Uti
Unsurprisingly, a UTI is an infection of the urinary tract. Bacteria has gotten into the urinary tract system, which is normally sterile. To put it in less pleasant terms, when material from the lower intestine gets into your urethra, it causes a bladder infection.
Though that sounds horrid, its not uncommon. Sometimes, it can be caused by a lack of proper hygiene, but most of the time it occurs from sex, using a diaphragm, or just being a woman. The Mayo Clinic lists female anatomy as a risk factor for the illness. So, if youre simply walking around town with a vagina, you very well might get a UTI.
The infection itself might be caused by the E. coli bacteria, which goes up the urethra. Sometimes, it hangs out in this urinary hallway without infecting anywhere else. More often, the bacteria gets into the bladder, causing frequent painful peeing, discharges, blood in your urine, and pelvic discomfort. Its not a good time, but a bladder infection is rarely serious, especially if you get treatment right away.
Drink Buchu Tea To Heal Your Urinary System
- Boil a glass of water. Remove it from the flame .
- Add 2 tablespoons of dried buchu to it and let soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Strain it and drink 1 to 2 cups a day.
Buchu, also known as bookoo or bucco, is a herb that is very effective in treating urinary tract disorders.25 It has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and diuretic properties that cleanse and heal your urinary tract.26
Tip: Add equal amount of uva ursi to make the drink more effective.
Read Also: Upper Urinary Tract Infection Symptoms
Prevention Of Urinary Tract Infection
There are several steps you can take to reduce your risk of getting a UTI:
- Drink plenty of water and other liquids to help flush out bacteria.
- Urinate frequently, or about every two to three hours.
- For women: Wipe from front to back after urinating or having a bowel movement.
- Urinate before and soon after having sexual intercourse.
- Avoid synthetic underwear, tight pants, and lingering in wet gym clothes or a bathing suit. Though none of this can cause a UTI, these habits can increase the spread of bacteria.
- Avoid vaginal deodorants, douches, powders, and other potentially irritating feminine products.
- Use a method of birth control other than a diaphragm, spermicide, or unlubricated condoms.
What Can I Do To Prevent A Uti
- Empty your bladder often. Urinate and empty your bladder as soon as you feel the need. Do not hold your urine for long periods of time.
- Drink liquids as directed. Ask how much liquid to drink each day and which liquids are best for you. You may need to drink more liquids than usual to help flush out the bacteria. Do not drink alcohol, caffeine, or citrus juices. These can irritate your bladder and increase your symptoms. Your healthcare provider may recommend cranberry juice to help prevent a UTI.
- Urinate after you have sex. This can help flush out bacteria passed during sex.
- Do pelvic muscle exercises often. Pelvic muscle exercises may help you start and stop urinating. Strong pelvic muscles may help you empty your bladder easier. Squeeze these muscles tightly for 5 seconds like you are trying to hold back urine. Then relax for 5 seconds. Gradually work up to squeezing for 10 seconds. Do 3 sets of 15 repetitions a day, or as directed.
Recommended Reading: Why Am I Prone To Urinary Tract Infections
Urinate When The Need Arises
Frequent urination puts pressure on bacteria in the urinary tract, which can help to clear them out.
It also reduces the amount of time that bacteria in the urine are exposed to cells in the urinary tract, reducing the risk of them attaching and forming an infection.
Always urinate as soon as possible when the urge strikes to and treat UTIs.
Cat Uti Symptoms & Signs
Urinary tract infections in cats are caused by bacteria that travel up the cats urethra. Sometimes the bacteria can travel through the urethra into the cats bladder causing an infection called bacterial cystitis. In severe cases, bacteria can also invade the ureters and cause a kidney infection called pyelonephritis.
To prevent these and other conditions, its crucial that pet parents know what to look for when a cats urinary tract infection first strikes.
When cats suffer from urinary problem or urinary tract disease, they often show signs of difficulty urinating. For example, your cat may feel pain when trying to urinate in her litter box, so she may start to associate the litter box with pain and try to urinate outside of the litter box. Other signs of painful or difficult urination include:
- Visiting the litter box more often than usual
- Spending a longer than usual amount of time in the litter box
- Visiting the litter box but not leaving any deposits
- Bloody urine
- Attempting to urinate in other parts of the house
- Drinking more water than usual
- Not eating as much as usual
It is essential to differentiate the symptoms of a UTI to those of Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease . FLUTD is a blanket term used to represent a collection of symptoms that could be a result from a number of lower urinary tract problems. FLUTD is diagnosed after ruling out a UTI. There are several causes for FLUTD including
Don’t Miss: What Can Be Done For Urinary Incontinence
What Are Causes Of Urinary Tract Infections
When bacteria enter into the urinary system, this can result in an infection. A urine culture can help isolate the bacteria responsible for a particular UTI.
- Escherichia coli is the Gram-negative bacteria that causes the vast majority of UTIs.
- However, other bacterial pathogens can also cause UTIs.
Urinary tract infections are not contagious, and you can’t acquire a UTI from someone else.
Increase Your Natural Flora With Probiotics
The wall of a womans vagina is usually lined with lactobacilli, which acts as the bodys natural defense against infection.11 It prevents E. Coli from infecting the vagina, thus, treating and reducing the chances of UTI.12 Including probiotics in your diet will ensure a healthy supply of natural bacterial flora.
When To See A Doctor For A Uti
Always go to your primary care physician immediately if there is blood in the urine, if you have a fever, and/or low back pain with your UTI symptoms, Sajdak advises. UTIs can move fast, so its better to go sooner than later.
Although natural remedies can be beneficial for alleviating UTI symptoms and preventing recurrent UTIs, they may not be effective in treating the infection.
If symptoms still persist after three days then it is time to move on to antibiotics, says Ivy Branin, ND, a naturopathic doctor in New York City who specializes in womens health. I often recommend a patient to see their doctor for a UA and a prescription for antibiotics just in case and to fill it if they have no improvement after three days.
Leaving a UTI untreated can cause additional health problems. Bacteria can reach the ureters or kidneys and cause kidney infections. Untreated UTIs during pregnancy can also potentially cause early labor and low birth weight. Seeking treatment for UTI that isnt going awayor one that keeps coming backis always a good thing.
Home Remedies For Uti
1. Drink Plenty of Fluids
Drinking water or fluids throughout the day helps flush bacteria from your system. A 2013 study conducted at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas found that chronic low fluid intake may be an important factor in the pathogenesis of urinary tract infections just one of many reasons to stay hydrated. Drink at least one glass of water for every meal and snack of the day in order to flush out bacteria that can lead to infection.
2. Urinate Often
Urinating often and when the urge arises ensures that bacteria isnt growing in urine that stays in the bladder. Its also important to urinate soon after sexual intercourse in order to flush out bacteria that may have entered the urethra. Studies have found that holding urine for a long time allows bacterial to multiply within the urinary tract, resulting in a urinary tract infection.
3. Stay Clean and Dry
Women should wipe from front to back, especially after a bowel movement. This ensures that bacteria doesnt get into the urethra. Its also important to wear loose-fitting clothes and underwear, which allows air to keep the urethra dry. Wearing tight jeans or material like nylon can be problematic because moisture can be trapped, allowing bacteria to grow.
4. Avoid Using Spermicides
9. Vitamin C
10. Clove Oil
11. Myrrh Oil
12. Oregano Oil
You May Like: Malignant Neoplasm Of Lateral Wall Of Urinary Bladder
Video Answer: How To Make Dog Uti Home Remedy
When dogs get UTIs, they may strain or have difficulty urinating, it may be painful for them to urinate, and they may have blood in their urine.
Breaking housetraining is another possible sign of a bladder problem.
Take your dog to the veterinarian if you notice the following signs: Frequent urination.
How To Prevent From Getting Urinary Tract Infection
Here are a few ways in which you can prevent getting the UTI.
- You can start by emptying your bladder often
- It is very important to drinking plenty of liquids, especially during summer season
- Be very careful while cleaning the area under the foreskin after showering if you are not circumcised
- Be very careful in cleaning your genitals before and after intercourse, to make sure there is no bacterial invasion
- It is very essential to wear a condom during intercourse
- It is essential to urinate after sex, to remove any bacteria
Not many men have faced erectile dysfunction after a severe case of UTI but it can happen to you if you are not recovered properly. In such cases you may face stress and anxiety and a lack of confidence towards performance. We have the perfect solution to all your problems, our Ashwagandha tablets are here to save the day.
Recommended Reading: Causes Of Urinary Urgency In Females
Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infection
One of the most common bacterial infections that women suffer from is urinary tract infection . When the bacteria found in the gut find their way into the urinary tract, it leads to this infection. The symptoms include frequent and painful urination, cloudy urine, diarrhoea and abdominal pain. While prescription drugs may resolve the issue, even home remedies work very well in this regard. The minor infections heal on their own in a few days, while the more serious ones might take a bit longer. Here are some home remedies for urinary tract infections.