What Should I Do If I Need To Start Using A Catheter
If your doctor tells you that its time to start using a catheter you may feel a little overwhelmed, and we can help. Your doctor will most-often recommend a specific type of catheter for you. We carry a wide range of brands and catheter types that can be delivered discreetly to your door. If your insurance plan covers urological supplies, you can receive deliveries each month.
Avoid Bladder Irritating Foods When You Have A Uti
Certain foods are known bladder irritants citrus or very acidic foods, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, alcohol these can all irritate the bladder, leading to bladder leaks. And, if you currently have a UTI, they may affect you even more. Try to watch out for these common bladder irritants to prevent further irritation to your bladder and UTI.
Exercise And Meditate Regularly
Doing light exercises regularly can significantly improve kidney function and urinary flow.
One study found voluntary exercise improves glomerular filtration rate .
Moreover, Aerobic exercises reduce prostatic hyperplasia leading to betterment in urine flow.
Kegel exercises are designed to strengthen pelvic muscles.
So they may improve urinary incontinence in adults with urinary hesitancy.
Performing this type of activity is simple. All you have to do is hold the pee for 5-10 seconds and then let it flow.
Then, repeating it 5-15 times a day will help regain bladder control problems and function.
New to exercising? Read Our Beginners Guide to Working Out: How To Start Exercising.
Meditation can be a great way of reducing stress levels. Extra stress can be harmful to the body .
Don’t Miss: Royal Canin Urinary So Food
Home Remedies For Urinary Retention For Females
- Consume Electrolytes in the form of fruit juices such as coconut water, Fresh and pure Pineapple juice, carrot juice. These can improve bladder and kidney function.
- Avoid constipating foods such as processed and deep-fried foods, artificial sweeteners, acidic and spicy foods.
- You can try to eat anti-inflammatory drinks such as Dandelion tea, Turmeric milk, etc. to ease out the swellings of the urethra.
Stay In Tune With Your Body
Pay attention to how often you feel the urge to urinate. If it becomes easier to delay using the bathroom and you stretch out the time between urinating, you may gradually stretch out your bladder. Also note if it becomes more difficult for you to begin to urinate or you feel that youre not able to completely empty your bladder. These may be early signs of urinary retention.
Be aware of any changes to your urination habits after surgery or a serious back injury. Its common for urinary retention to developeither immediately or over timeafter having surgery or injuring your back.
Talk with your health care professional if you notice any of the signs of urinary retention. You may be able to prevent the condition from becoming more severe if you get help early on.
Recommended Reading: Foods That Cause Urinary Tract Infections
Try Taking A Probiotic
Introducing a probiotic to your system may help to replenish the naturally occurring, healthy bacteria that live in the gut. It is thought that probiotics may prevent harmful bacteria from attaching to the urinary tract cells, and may also lower the urine Ph, making it less hospitable to harmful bacteria. And, if you have taken an antibiotic to treat a UTI, taking a probiotic is a great way to build up the healthy bacteria that may have been killed during your course of treatment. Probiotics are found in supplement form , or they occur naturally in some types of food, including certain yogurts, kombucha, or kefir.
What Are The Complications Of Urinary Retention
Urinary Tract Infection: When the urinary tract is emptying completely, bacteria that normally enter the urinary tract are flushed out during urination. With urinary retention, the urine does not completely drain out, which allows the harmless bacteria a chance to multiply and infect the urinary tract. Serious problems can occur if the infection spreads to the kidneys.
Bladder Damage: If urinary retention is not treated, the bladder may become stretched too far. When stretched too far, the muscles in the bladder may become damaged and no longer perform their normal function.
Kidney Damage: The urinary tract is designed to have the urine flow from the kidneys, through the ureters, to the bladder, and out the urethra. If the individual has urinary retention, it becomes difficult for them to empty the urine from the bladder, and the urine may back up into the kidneys. This makes the kidneys full of urine so that they swell and ultimately press the nearby organs. This pressure can damage the kidneys and, in some cases, may lead to kidney failure and chronic kidney disease.
Urinary Incontinence: When the bladder does not empty fully, it leads to urine leakage, called urine overflow incontinence.
You May Like: New Device For Female Urinary Incontinence
Urine Retention Home Remedies
Saw palmetto is a traditional remedy used in many European countries for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. It is known that saw palmetto has anti-inflammatory properties. However, this home remedy also prevents testosterone from converting into dihydrotestosterone. For this reason, one urine retention home remedy is sawed palmetto as well.
Sarsaparilla is a home remedy used for the treatment of cystitis. Also, sarsaparilla is a great natural remedy when it comes to relieving pain associated with urinary tract stones. One of the great effects of sarsaparilla is the relieving of the burning sensation which accompanies urinary tract infections at the end of urination.
The indicant licorice extract is considered to be a very effective natural alternative to antibiotics and for this reason, it is used for the treatment of cystitis. Indian licorice as one of many urine retention home remedies is also used when trying to relieve the inflammation or infection of the urinary tract. For this purpose, you should mash about 50 mg of Indian licorice, boil it for about 30 minutes with a glass of water and drink the tea at least three times a week.
Dandelion is an herb used for the treatment of various diseases such as heartburn, nausea and even kidney diseases. Dandelion is often used as a natural diuretic due to its anti-inflammatory properties as it increases the urine output.
Symptoms Of Urinary Retention
The symptoms of urinary retention vary, depending upon whether the condition is chronic or acute .
Chronic urinary retention . usually develops over months or years. It is usually not painful. The symptoms of chronic urinary retention can include:
- A weak or interrupted urine stream
- Leaking in between trips to the bathroom
- Feeling an urgent need to urinate, but not being able to go
- Still needing to urinate after finishing
- Pain or discomfort in the lower abdomen and urinary tract .
Sometimes these symptoms arent worrisome enough for people to seek medical care. However, the risk of not seeking care is that these people may be more likely to have complications from untreated urinary retention. These complications can include urinary tract infection or acute urinary retention.
Acute urinary retention has different symptoms and requires immediate medical care. The symptoms may include:
- Complete inability to urinate
- A need to urinate that is painful and urgent
- Painful or uncomfortable lower abdomen
- Bloated lower abdomen.
Read Also: How Do I Get A Urinary Tract Infection
Appendix A: Search Strategy
Database: Ovid MEDLINE®< 1946 to November Week 3 2012> Search Strategy:
Read Also: What Can Cause Urinary Retention
How Your Body Is Affected By Utis
The symptoms youre likely to encounter with an UTI are the result of bacteria entering the urinary tract and spreading in the bladder. They include:
- Persistent urge to urinate
- Strong-smelling urine
If your urinary system fails to remove the bacteria from your body, a UTI in the bladder or urethra often takes hold. If the UTI spreads to your kidneys , you could experience back or side pain, chills, shaking, fever, nausea, and vomiting.
Left untreated, UTIs can recur, cause permanent kidney damage, increase the risk of premature birth or low weight birth in pregnant women, or cause , which can be life-threatening.
Read Also: Myasthenia Gravis And Urinary Incontinence
You May Like: How To Cure Urinary Tract Infection Male
Causes Of Urinary Retention
Urinary retention has several potential causes, listed below.
- An obstruction of the urethra, the tube that carries urine from the bladder and expels it from the body. This obstruction can be caused by benign prostatic hyperplasia , urethral stricture , urinary tract stones, pelvic organ prolapse , constipation, and some cancers and other tumors. A urinary tract infection or a sexually transmitted infection can cause swelling that blocks the urethra.
- Infection or inflammation, which can be caused by conditions such as herpes simplex virus or Guillain-Barre syndrome.
- Weakened bladder muscles.
- Medications that change the way the bladder works. These may include cold medicines and antihistamines, some antidepressants and antispasmodics.
- Nerve problems. Sometimes these are caused by chronic medical conditions such as multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury, stroke and diabetes. Occasionally they are due to damage from vaginal childbirth.
- Post-operative problems. The pelvic organs sometimes are damaged during surgery. Other problems can result from surgery to the pelvic region or medicines given before or during surgery.
- Damage due to catheterization.
When To See A Doctor For A Uti
Always go to your primary care physician immediately if there is blood in the urine, if you have a fever, and/or low back pain with your UTI symptoms, Sajdak advises. UTIs can move fast, so its better to go sooner than later.
Although natural remedies can be beneficial for alleviating UTI symptoms and preventing recurrent UTIs, they may not be effective in treating the infection.
If symptoms still persist after three days then it is time to move on to antibiotics, says Ivy Branin, ND, a naturopathic doctor in New York City who specializes in womens health. I often recommend a patient to see their doctor for a UA and a prescription for antibiotics just in case and to fill it if they have no improvement after three days.
Leaving a UTI untreated can cause additional health problems. Bacteria can reach the ureters or kidneys and cause kidney infections. Untreated UTIs during pregnancy can also potentially cause early labor and low birth weight. Seeking treatment for UTI that isnt going awayor one that keeps coming backis always a good thing.
Don’t Miss: How To Treat Feline Urinary Tract Infection
Other Urinary Retention Treatments At Home For Females
- In some causes of retention, the doctor can give you Urethra relaxing medications such as Alpha-Blockers: Terazosin, Tamsulosin, etc. In cases of men, Medications that reduce the size of the prostate can also be given
- Self Catheterization: The doctor can teach the patient to insert the tube themselves at their home.
- If the obstruction is caused by an infection, the doctor may prescribe you some antibiotics to cure the cause, pain relievers, and anti-inflammatories such as Ibuprofen and acetaminophen to decrease the inflammation and swelling.
Sip Some Cranberry Juice
Studies into the effectiveness of cranberry juice for UTI treatment have produced mixed results. However, anecdotal evidence and some small studies indicate that cranberry juice may aid in healing by making it difficult for bacteria to stick to the lining of the urinary tract. If you wish to try this traditional folk remedy, choose a juice that lists cranberries as its first ingredient and is free of artificial sweeteners and added sugar.
Also Check: Urinary Tract Infection Kidney Pain
Also Check: Urinary Tract Infection Test Kit
Other Natural Products For Urinary Tract Infections In Dogs
We also offer these two natural products to help you with your dogs UTI.
A NATURAL URINARY DISORDERS PRODUCT
The URINARY DISORDERS product is the perfect tool to support your dog when facing urinary tract infections in our canine companions. In addition, if you are looking to relieve your dogs pain caused by inflammation of the bladder and even dissolves some urinary crystals, this product will help maintain the urinary system healthy.Its suitable for all animals suffering from mild urinary disorders.
A NATURAL ANTIBIOTIC SILVERPET
Combining this product with the previous one is a good choice for your dogs urinary tract infections. The SILVERPET product acts as a natural antibiotic agent and can be used in case of bacteria that develops in your dogs bladder.In addition, this product helps strengthen the immune system and therefore helps your dog to help himself. It is natural.It can also be used for the other animal species mentioned above.
Cinnamon For Continuous Urination
Cinnamon is one of the best natural medicine for frequent urination caused by urinary tract infection and vaginitis. It can kill fungus, bacteria, germs, and parasites. Thus, it also reduces the problems of excessive discharge, improper menstrual cycle, and bad vaginal odor.
How To Stop Frequent Urination Feeling With Cinnamon?
You should drink cinnamon tea regularly to avoid over urination in the first hand by keeping your system clean from infections. Otherwise, if you have already developed the problem of frequent urination, you can make a cinnamon paste for instant relief from repeated urination.
Steps To Make And Apply Cinnamon Paste To Cure Burning Sensation After Urination
- Take 1 tsp cinnamon powder and ? tsp colorless henna in a bowl
- Add cold distilled water in the bowl and stir until you get the desired semi-liquid consistency
- Refrigerate the mixture for 15 minutes
- In the meantime, massage your pelvic area and vulva with warm cinnamon oil
- Apply the cold paste directly over the freshly massaged surface
- Wash with clean water and apply every alternate day for 2 weeks to get rid of frequent urination feeling
Why It Works?
Cinnamon is anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and analgesic. It is rich in vitamin C, E, K, and riboflavin. Thus, it can treat all kinds of infections like UTI and vaginitis. On the other hand, colorless henna is a cooling agent that reduces burning sensation after urination.
What Is The Food Can Help To Cure Urine Retention
If you are suffering from chronic urine retention then changing your diet can help to get rid of this problem.
- Drink more coconut water to ease the difficulty in passing urine.
- Increase the intake of water.
- It will help to flush out harmful toxins and prevent infection.
- Avoid acidic and spicy food.
- Do drink sugary soft drinks.
- Avoid drinking too much coffee.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Add cucumber, watermelon, muskmelon to your diet to prevent urine retention.
- Raisins also help to treat urine retention at home.
What Are The Possible Complications Of Urinary Retention
The complications of urinary retention and its treatments may include:
UTIs: the normal flow of urine usually prevents germs from infecting the urine. With urinary retention, bacteria may be able to infect the urine because the urine cannot flow out of the bladder.
Bladder damage: if the bladder becomes stretched too far or for long periods, the muscles may become damaged and unable to work properly.
Chronic kidney disease: for some people, urinary retention causes urine to flow backwards into the kidneys. This backward flow is called reflux and it may damage or scar the kidneys.
Urinary incontinence: this may occur together with chronic urinary retention or after surgery .
Prostate gland surgery may cause urinary incontinence in some men. This problem is often temporary and gets better quite quickly. Most men recover their bladder control in a few weeks or months after surgery.
Don’t Miss: Does Hpv Cause Urinary Tract Infections
When Should Someone Seek Medical Care For An Inability To Urinate
- This condition requires urgent bladder drainage to prevent damage to the bladder, kidneys, and ureter.
- Your doctor may advise you to go to a hospital emergency department without delay.
- If you have symptoms of chronic urinary retention, you should also let your health care provider know, since chronic urinary retention may lead to urinary tract infections, incontinence, further bladder damage, and damage to your kidneys.
Urologists are most often involved in the care of patients with urinary retention. However, women are also often treated by urogynecologists. Internists, family physicians, and emergency-room physicians also frequently treat urinary retention.
Load Up On Vitamin C For A Healthy Urinary Tract
Getting plenty of foods high in vitamin C is important because large amounts of vitamin C make urine more acidic. This inhibits the growth of bacteria in your urinary tract, according to Johns Hopkins Medicines health library. However, if you have an active UTI, you may want to avoid citrus or other acidic foods. These foods are known to irritate the bladder, which is the last thing you need when youre having pain urinating.
Treatment Of Urinary Retention
Acute: Acute urinary retention is a medical emergency and the doctor will place a catheter in the bladder> It is done to let out of your urine. This is the safest procedure. If this method doesnt work, the doctor will make a small tunnel which can be done in the skin over the bladder and via the bladder wall. The doctor can use local anesthesia, emptying the bladder can make you feel better and it will help to prevent any complications. The doctor will diagnose and treat the cause.
Chronic: Chronic urinary retention is done if you have developed symptoms which affect the quality of life or if you are having any urinary tract complications.
Catheterization: You will require catheterization which will help to release urine from the bladder unless urinary retention can be fixed. Doctors avoid using a urethral catheter because this can lead to a variety of complications. A doctor will tell you how to place the catheter to minimize the chances of getting bacteria into the bladder.
Stents and urethral dilation: This procedure is used to widen the urethral stricture which will allow more urine to flow through. Tubes will be inserted into the urethra. This will open the stricture. Another method to do this by inserting a tube with a balloon into the urethra and inflate the balloon in stricture.