Best Home Remedies For Uti
Is peeing painful for you? Or do you feel a burning sensation as you urinate? Chances are you have a urinary tract infection . Maybe some home remedies for UTI can help you out.
Urinary tract infections are annoying and directly impact not just your health but also the quality of your life. They are considered to be one of the most prevalent infectious diseases that affect approximately 150 million people each year across the world. So, yes, on top of being annoying, UTIs are very common and can happen to anyone.
When To See A Doctor For A Uti
Always go to your primary care physician immediately if there is blood in the urine, if you have a fever, and/or low back pain with your UTI symptoms, says Dr. Sajdak. UTIs can move fast so its better to go to your PCP sooner than later.
Although natural remedies can be beneficial for alleviating UTI symptoms and preventing recurrent UTIs, they are unlikely to beeffective in treating the infection.
If symptoms still persist after three days then it is time to move on to antibiotics, says Ivy Branin, ND, a naturopathic doctor in New York City who specializes in womens health. I often recommend a patient to see their doctor for a UA and a prescription for antibiotics just in case and to fill it if they have no improvement after three days.
A Pharmacist Can Help With Utis
You can ask a pharmacist about treatments for a UTI.
A pharmacist can:
- offer advice on things that can help you get better
- suggest the best painkiller to take
- tell you if you need to see a GP about your symptoms
Some pharmacies offer a UTI management service. They may be able to give antibiotics if they’re needed.
Read Also: How Dangerous Is A Urinary Tract Infection
What Can I Do To Prevent A Uti
- Empty your bladder often. Urinate and empty your bladder as soon as you feel the need. Do not hold your urine for long periods of time.
- Drink liquids as directed. Ask how much liquid to drink each day and which liquids are best for you. You may need to drink more liquids than usual to help flush out the bacteria. Do not drink alcohol, caffeine, or citrus juices. These can irritate your bladder and increase your symptoms. Your healthcare provider may recommend cranberry juice to help prevent a UTI.
- Urinate after you have sex. This can help flush out bacteria passed during sex.
- Do pelvic muscle exercises often. Pelvic muscle exercises may help you start and stop urinating. Strong pelvic muscles may help you empty your bladder easier. Squeeze these muscles tightly for 5 seconds like you are trying to hold back urine. Then relax for 5 seconds. Gradually work up to squeezing for 10 seconds. Do 3 sets of 15 repetitions a day, or as directed.
Drink Lots Of Water And Empty Your Bladder Often
According to Chicago-based OB/GYN, Jessica Shepherd, MD, drinking lots of water when you are experiencing UTI symptoms can help flush away the bacteria. Draining your bladder frequently is essential to getting rid of the bacteria, Dr. Shepherd explains. The more water you drink, the more youll have to relieve yourself.
Also Check: How Painful Is A Urinary Tract Infection
Does Azo Cure Uti
Before you go to the doctor to get treatment for a urinary tract infection, you can take over-the-counter medicine, known as âAZO Urinary Pain Reliefâ or âAZO Urinary Pain Relief Maximum Strengthâ. You can take these tablets for about 2 days to cure the painful symptoms of the UTI. But, make sure you tell your doctor if you are having this medication. You can take AZO Cranberry tablets once your UTI is cured in order to maintain the health of the urinary tract.
Uti Causes And Symptoms
A UTI, or urinary tract infection, is caused by organisms that are too small to be seen without a microscope, including fungi, viruses and bacteria. Despite the bodys many natural defenses, certain bacteria have the ability to attach themselves to the lining of the urinary tract and inhabit the urethra, bladder and kidneys. The majority of UTI cases are caused by E. colibacterium that can live in the bowel and vaginal cavities, around the urethral opening, and in the urinary tract.
Other significant pathogens that can cause UTIs include Proteus mirabilis, Staphylococcus saprophyticus, Staphylococcus epidermidis and Klebsiella pneumonia. In diabetic patients, Klebsiella and group B streptococcus infections are more common. Pseudomonas infections are more common in chronically catheterized patients.
Urinary tract infections are extremely common, especially among sexually active women ages 18 to 24. Although a UTI isnt typically complicated or life-threatening, it does cause pain and suffering and negatively impacts ones quality of life.
Generally, symptoms of a UTI in adults may include:
- pain when urinating
- a burning sensation in the bladder or urethra when urinating
- a strong, frequent urge to urinate, but only passing small amounts
- urine that appears red or bright pink
- strong-smelling urine
- people with suppressed immune systems
- people with diabetes
Precautions Regarding UTIs and Home Remedies for UTI
Final Thoughts on Home Remedies for UTI
Recommended Reading: Lemon Water For Urinary Tract Infection
Should Uti Treatment Vary According To Whats Causing The Infection
Your UTI treatment may vary according to whats causing the infection. Certain UTIs, especially chronic and recurring ones, will need antibiotic treatment as opposed to simple home remedies.
If youre prescribed antibiotics to treat a UTI, a healthcare professional may choose an antibiotic thats specific to the type of bacteria thats triggering your infection.
Take Enough Vitamin C
Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps improve the function of the immune system.
Vitamin C also reacts with nitrates in the urine to form nitrogen oxides that can kill bacteria. It can lower the pH of the urine, making the bacteria less likely to survive.
As with cranberry juice, people have been using vitamin C in various ways to treat UTIs for thousands of years. But there is a lack of quality research to confirm whether increased vitamin C intake can prevent or treat urinary tract infections.
Read Also: Urinary Tract Infection And Bleeding
Elderly Fluid Intake And Uti
“It seems that the elderly really do not enjoy drinking water, but water flushes the body and helps clear out the bacteria. It is suggested that drinking half your weight in ounces of water can help a UTI. That’s a lot, so any increase is better than none. Maybe a better tasting or flavored water would be easier for your loved one, and try to give it to them at room temperature. My board certified nutritionist would tell you that it is better to drink water at room temperature.” 20Eagle16
“Find ways to increase their fluid intake that don’t involve drinking. It’s hard to get most elderly folks to up their fluid intake. Does your loved one like popsicles? There are brands that have 100% fruit juice in them. If they are diabetic, perhaps you can make your own. Italian ices are another method.” NurseRatched
“Water intake is critical and a difficult battle, I know. I keep a glass of water by mom at all times, but left to her own volitioneven with constant reminders to drinkshe will consume all of a few ounces during a day. Which is why I have a set of tall, colored ‘shot’ glasses that hold 2 oz. each and periodically throughout the day, I will have her drink a ‘shot’ of water. I also give her one of these with any pills she takes, doling out one pill at a time so she gets at least that much water with any medication.” mary4th
How Is A Uti Diagnosed
Your healthcare provider will ask about your signs and symptoms. Your provider may press on your abdomen, sides, and back to check if you feel pain. You may need any of the following:
- Urinalysis will show infection and your overall health.
- Urine cultures may show which germ is causing your infection.
Recommended Reading: Urinary Tract Infection Over The Counter
How Do You Treat Cystitis
Commonly, cystitis clears up on its own within a few days.
During this time there are cystitis treatments you can buy over the counter to help relieve any pain you are experiencing. These include cystitis sachets which contain potassium or sodium citrate. You simply dissolve the powder in water and then drink the solution this also helps to keep you hydrated.
If you have symptoms of cystitis that dont improve within three days, you should visit your GP.
How To Prevent From Getting Urinary Tract Infection
Here are a few ways in which you can prevent getting the UTI.
- You can start by emptying your bladder often
- It is very important to drinking plenty of liquids, especially during summer season
- Be very careful while cleaning the area under the foreskin after showering if you are not circumcised
- Be very careful in cleaning your genitals before and after intercourse, to make sure there is no bacterial invasion
- It is very essential to wear a condom during intercourse
- It is essential to urinate after sex, to remove any bacteria
Not many men have faced erectile dysfunction after a severe case of UTI but it can happen to you if you are not recovered properly. In such cases you may face stress and anxiety and a lack of confidence towards performance. We have the perfect solution to all your problems, our Ashwagandha tablets are here to save the day.
Recommended Reading: Causes Of Urinary Urgency In Females
Read Also: Homeopathic Treatment For Urinary Tract Infection
How To Relieve Uti Pain At Night
At night, relieve UTI pain by drinking green tea or cranberry juice. Avoid caffeine altogether.
If you have excruciating pain, you can go to the restroom and use the jet spray to spray water on your private parts. This is sure to reduce your UTI pain.
You can also apply tea tree oil or coconut oil to relieve UTI pain at night.
Read Also: Can Diabetes Cause Urinary Tract Infection
How To Treat A Urinary Tract Infection In Men At Home
Inflammation occurs as a result of bacterial growth in the urinary tract. Urinary tract infection is associated with the emergence of many symptoms such as difficulty urinating and pain, in addition to the urgent need to urinate with incontinence.
Antibiotics are the mainstay in treating UTIs in men at home. They are used to treat UTIs for both men and women.
There are many ways to use antibacterial therapy, it may be administered orally or intravenously, and the dosage and type of drug varies according to the nature and severity of each disease.
The doctor chooses the appropriate antibiotic for treatment according to the type of attacking germs. This is known by conducting a urine test for the patient and detecting the bacteria in the sample.
In some cases, doctors begin treatment immediately and before the results of the urine analysis appear, by using drugs that attack the germs most likely to cause urinary tract infections. The drugs may be changed after the results of the analysis appear.
Following the instructions of your specialist is important regarding the period of taking the medication and the necessary dosage. One of the common mistakes that many UTI patients make is to stop taking their medication as soon as symptoms improve.
Improvement in symptoms of the disease is not conclusive evidence of recovery, as stopping the medication before the UTI is completely cleared may lead to a recurrence of symptoms of the infection.
Recommended Reading: Can Coffee Cause Urinary Tract Infection
Practice Good Sexual Hygiene
Some sexual intercourse bacteria and other microbes into the urinary tract. Practicing good sexual hygiene can help to reduce this risk.
Examples of good sexual hygiene include:
- urinating before and immediately after sex
- using barrier contraception, such as a condom
- washing the genitals, especially the foreskin, before and after engaging in sexual acts or intercourse
- ensuring that all sexual partners are aware of any current or past UTIs
What Can I Do At Home To Prevent Future Occurrences Of Flutd
Depending on the underlying cause for FLUTD, the clinical signs may never, or only occasionally, reoccur. However, recurrence is more common with FIC. To help reduce the chances of recurrence:
- Feed small meals on a frequent basis.
- Consult with your veterinarian about the best diet for your cat. Many commercial diets are acceptable, but some urinary conditions respond better to specialized diets. Canned food may be preferred.
- Provide clean, fresh water at all times.
- Provide an adequate number of litter boxes with the type of litter that the cat prefer
- Keep litter boxes in quiet, safe areas of the house.
- Keep litter boxes clean they should be scooped twice a day and the litter changed weekly .
- Minimize major changes in routine.
Also Check: Tips For Urinary Tract Infection
Homeopathic Remedies For Uti
1. Aconitum apellus : this remedy is useful when there is a feeling of anxiousness both before and while urinating. It is also good for UTI-burning relief.
2. Belladonna: if there is a frequent feeling of urination along with cramps in the area of the bladder, accompanied by a very small amount of colored urine, this remedy is helpful.
3. Apis mellifica: this remedy can be taken if there is a frequent urge to urinate along with a burning sensation and soreness in the abdominal area.
4. Borax: this remedy is helpful to treat acute cystitis accompanied by pain in the bladder as well as urinary opening.
5. Chimaphila umbellata: if a person has to strain a lot in order to pass the urine, along with a scalding sensation, this remedy works well.
6. Staphysagria: this remedy is quite useful for women if cystitis occurs due to sexual activity. This condition may be accompanied by a feeling of pressure in the bladder even after urinating.
Apart from these, you can try some other homeopathic treatments, like Berberis Vulgaris, cantharis, clematis, lycopodium, equisetum, nux vomica, sepia, and sarsaparilla.
How To Cure Urinary Tract Infection In Males: Home Remedies That Works
The following seven viable home solutions from drinking lots of water, to applying heat, and wearing loose cotton clothing just might alleviate your painful UTI symptoms, or avoid them in the first place:
1. Get Your Fill of Water One of the first things to do when you have a urinary tract infection is to drink lots of water, doctors will tell you. Thats since drinking water can help flush away the bacteria thats triggering your infection, according to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases . This puts you on the right track for recovery.
How much should you drink? Go for half of your body weight in ounces of water, approximately 80 ounces a day, states Holly Lucille, ND, RN, a naturopathic doctor in personal practice in West Hollywood, California, and author of Creating and Maintaining Balance: A Womans Guide to Safe, Natural Hormone Health. If you weigh 140 pounds, that indicates you must try to get 70 oz of water a day. And if you have kidney disease, the NIDDK stresses caution: Check with your physician about how much fluid is safe for you to drink.
2. Load Up on Vitamin C for a Healthy Urinary Tract Getting a lot of foods high in vitamin C is essential, since huge quantities of vitamin C make urine more acidic. This prevents the growth of bacteria in your urinary tract, according to the Johns Hopkins Medicine health library. If you have an active UTI, taking vitamin C supplements may assist too.
Don’t Miss: What Do You Treat A Urinary Tract Infection With
What To Do When Home Remedies Do Not Provide Permanent Relief
If the home remedies fail to bring you the desired results or the UTI flares up again, do not take it casually. Be very proactive and consult a specialist doctor for proper diagnosis and medications.Complete the course of antibiotics that your doctor prescribes and go for timely follow-ups until you are absolutely fine.
How Do I Get Rid Of A Uti Quickly
There is no quick fix for a UTI. Taking cranberry supplements and drinking water could help flush bacteria out of your system more quickly. However, it can be dangerous to drink too much water in a short period of time. In many cases, taking an antibiotic for a UTI could be the quickest way to get rid of one.
Recommended Reading: What’s The Signs Of Urinary Tract Infection
How Is Flutd Diagnosed
Because FLUTD has many causes, it can be difficult to diagnose. Based on your cat’s symptoms, your veterinarian will do a physical examination and most likely will run a urinalysis assessing urine pH and concentration and presence of crystals, bleeding, inflammation and infection. If the cause is still not identified, tests such as urine culture, x-rays, blood work and additional urine tests may be recommended.
Natural Home Remedies For Uti
Here are eight effective natural remedies for UTI that contain these three properties.
Drinking plenty of water is, of course, the most important thing to do when youre experiencing from a bad case of UTI. It works by flushing out bacteria from your urinary tract. Although more trips to the bathroom may not sound like an appealing idea, doing so would help relieve your symptoms much faster. If youre getting your fill of eight glasses of water a day, try drinking even more fluids for a quicker solution.
2. Heat packs
UTI can cause abdominal discomfort due to a combination of spasms and inflammation. When this happens, you need something to relax your muscles. A heat pack, or even a bottle of warm water, would help you manage the pain. If youre using a water bottle as a makeshift heat pack, make sure to wrap it first with a towel before placing it over your abdomen. Avoid pressing on your bladder so as not to cause further complications. You may do this for as long as necessary.
3. Vitamin C
Also known as ascorbic acid, Vitamin C works for UTIs for two reasons: first, they boost the bodys immune system, and second, they make the urine more acidic, making it more robust against bacteria. To fight UTI, therefore, you need to eat food rich in vitamin C or take supplements.
6. Ginger tea
Don’t Miss: Purina Pro Plan Focus Adult Urinary Tract Health