Can Urinary Tract Infections Be Prevented Or Avoided
There are many lifestyle choices that can help you prevent UTIs. These are some of the things you can do to protect yourself from them:
- Drink plenty of water to flush out bacteria. For some people, drinking cranberry juice may also help prevent urinary tract infections. However, if youre taking warfarin, check with your doctor before using cranberry juice to prevent urinary tract infections. Your doctor may need to adjust your warfarin dose or you may need to have more frequent blood tests.
- Dont hold your urine. Urinate when you feel like you need to. Some children dont go to the bathroom often enough. If your child does this, teach him or her to go to the bathroom several times each day.
- Wipe from front to back after bowel movements. Teach your child to wipe correctly.
- Urinate after having sex to help wash away bacteria.
- Use enough lubrication during sex. Try using a small amount of lubricant before sex if youre a little dry.
- If you get urinary tract infections often, you may want to avoid using a diaphragm as a birth control method. Ask your doctor about other birth control choices.
- Avoid taking or giving your child bubble baths.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing , and dress your child in loose-fitting clothing.
- If you are uncircumcised, wash the foreskin regularly. If you have an uncircumcised boy, teach him how to wash his foreskin.
How Is Urinary Tract Infection In Men Diagnosed
Diagnostic methods that a physician may use to help diagnose Urinary Tract Infections in Men include:
- A complete physical examination with a detailed medical and surgical history
- Rectal examinations to evaluate the state of the prostate
- Laboratory testing through tests such as:
- Urine analysis, such as a dipstick test
- Urine cultures to detect the pathogen causing the infection
- Blood tests
Many clinical conditions may have similar signs and symptoms. Your healthcare provider may perform additional tests to rule out other clinical conditions to arrive at a definitive diagnosis.
Other Tips That Can Help In Managing Uti In Males
- Drink at least 7-8 glasses of water every day. This helps in passing the toxins along with the urine.
- Drink cranberry juice without adding any extra sugar. Fresh cranberry juice removes the bacteria from the lining of the tract. These harmful bacteria get out of the body through urine.
- Have probiotic products such as yogurt. Probiotics promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut which kill the infection-causing bacteria.
- Increase your consumption of vitamin C. Especially, citrus fruits are a rich source of vitamin C. Apart from citrus fruits, oranges, kiwi, and red peppers contain high amounts of vitamin C .
- Maintain proper hygiene of your genital area and follow good bathroom habits.
- Make sure that you do not hold the urge to pass urine for long as it increases the chances of UTI.
- You can also take the help of natural supplements of garlic and cranberry.
These are some simple yet effective tips that will allow you to get rid of UTI faster. Dont forget to discuss them once with your doctor, so that you receive the right treatment.
Read Also: Probiotics For Urinary Tract Infection
What Is Sepsis And How Do I Spot It
When you get an infection, your immune systems job is to fight it. However, with sepsis, it overreacts and the bodys response can damage its own tissues and organs.
The UK Sepsis Alliance has this acronym for detecting the signs of sepsis, and recommend urgently attending A& E if you present them.
Slurred speech or confusion
It feels like Im going to die
Skin mottled, discoloured or pale
The UK Sepsis Trust is urging the NHS to create a patient register for those suffering from urosepsis and severe infection, in order to boost understanding and prevent serious illness.
It wouldnt necessarily head-count the people who present to their GP with symptoms of a UTI and get better with antibiotics, but its really important we look at the people admitted to hospital with infection, Dr Daniels said.
We should track those people to get a really granular understanding of whats happening to them. We need to start to understand what works, who needs antibiotics more regularly, but also look at their recovery profile and the risk factors for recurrent infection.
Dr Daniels suggests using NHS data to map their progress and reaction to treatment as well as asking patients to self-report factors including how active they are being and how well they feel.
If we get these datasets to talk to each-other, we can start to really understand what a person whos at risk of developing an infection tomorrow or next week looks like, he said.
Fight Those Germs With Horseradish
- Add 1 tablespoon of grated fresh horseradish to 1 glass warm water or apple cider vinegar.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to it. Drink it.
Horseradish has an antimicrobial effect that comes in handy when you are suffering from a UTI. It contains a compound called allyl isothiocyanate, which gets rid of a wide range of bacteria, including E. Coli, the main cause of urinary tract infections.2223
Tip: Horseradish should be fresh or it might not be as effective in treating UTI.
Read Also: Rusch Easy Tap Urinary Leg Bag
What Is The Urinary Tract
The urinary tract makes and stores urine, one of the body’s liquid waste products. The urinary tract includes the following parts:
- Kidneys: These small organs are located on back of your body, just above the hips. They are the filters of your body removing waste and water from your blood. This waste becomes urine.
- Ureters: The ureters are thin tubes that carry urine from the kidneys to your bladder.
- Bladder: A sac-like container, the bladder stores your urine before it leaves the body.
- Urethra: This tube carries the urine from your bladder to the outside of the body.
Empty Your Bladder Regularly
Whenever you get the urge to pee, it is advisable to keep making those bathroom trips to empty your bladder. Even if you pee in small amounts each time, dont hold it in. You should also make it a point to empty your bladder soon after having sex.2 Residual urine present in your bladder allows bacteria present in it to multiply and thrive, causing an infection.
Don’t Miss: Treatment Of Urinary Tract Infection In Pregnancy
Urinary Infections In Children
A urinary infection in a child needs to be investigated as it may indicate a more serious condition.
The most common urinary system condition is urinary reflux. With this condition, the bladder valve isnt working properly and allows urine to flow back to the kidneys, increasing the risk of a kidney infection.
Urinary reflux and the associated infections can scar or permanently damage the kidney, and can also lead to:
- high blood pressure
- toxaemia in pregnancy
- kidney failure.
Urinary reflux tends to run in families, so its important to screen children as early as possible if a close relative is known to have the problem.
Urinary Tract Infections Can Also Occur In Men Many Of Us May Suffer From Uti Many Of Us Have Diabetes Such As Burning Sensation While Urinating Difficulty Urinating Urinary Tract Infection Frequent Urination Etc This Uti Urinary Tract Infection Problem Is More Common In Women
In a stressful life, many people suffer from various problems. Most of the time we ignore the problem of urination. Many of us suffer from urinary tract infections, burning sensation while urinating, frequent urination, urinary retention, severe pain while urinating, swelling of the urinary tract but all these problems are not due to infection. It is important to know this.
Why do urinary tract infections occur in men?
UTI is a urinary tract infection. This is a common problem in women due to their anatomy but urinary tract infections can also occur in men.
Causes of urinary tract infections in men?
There are several possible causes for urinary tract infections in men, such as diabetes is a risk factor. STI is a sexually transmitted infection that can be a major cause. Sometimes there are surgical causes as well.
Some tests may also be done if a UTI infection is suspected.
- Such as benign prostatic hyperplasia with advancing age,Structure urethra ,Kidney disease. All of these factors can also lead to urinary tract infections.
There are several possible causes for urinary tract infections in men.
Symptoms: Frequent urination, burning sensation while urinating, burning sensation after urination, urinary incontinence, stopping, etc.
If you feel that you are experiencing symptoms of UTI, then we can do some tests. This test complements the diagnosis of a urinary tract infection, such as daily urine tests, urine culture, and ultrasound. Etc ..
Recommended Reading: Does Azo Urinary Pain Relief Get Rid Of Uti
What To Do When Home Remedies Do Not Provide Permanent Relief
If the home remedies fail to bring you the desired results or the UTI flares up again, do not take it casually. Be very proactive and consult a specialist doctor for proper diagnosis and medications.Complete the course of antibiotics that your doctor prescribes and go for timely follow-ups until you are absolutely fine.
Is It Possible To Prevent Urinary Tract Infections With Diet And Supplements
It is possible to reduce the chance that a UTI will develop with dietary methods and some supplements but prevention of all UTIs is unlikely with these methods. Supplements such as eating cranberries, taking vitamin C tablets, and eating yogurt and other substances also may reduce the chance that a UTI will develop . However, as stated in the prevention section, changes in a person’s lifestyle may reduce the chance getting a UTI as good as, if not better than, any diet or supplement.
Also Check: Sacral Nerve Stimulation For Urinary Incontinence
Blueberries Can Cure Ut Infections
You can even combat UTI infection with the intake of blueberries. Blueberries have all the bacteria inhibiting features and this can really help you fight against the infection of the urinary bladder. The blueberries have the presence of antioxidants and these are elements to help make the immune system so strong. Moreover, the berries will hinder the growth and spread of bacteria. It is the best component you can add to the cereal or the breakfast and in the way the food becomes so healthy for consumption. You can even make juice of blueberries and drink the juice on daily basis. The juice should be taken in the morning and at night to have the quickest result ever. Please make sure that you dont add any sort of artificial sweetener to make the juice sweet. This can spoil the goodness of the drink. This is the best fruit you can have to stay strong and at the same time avoid the occurrence of the UTI diseases.
Home Remedies For Urinary Tract Infection In Males
Do you have frequent, painful UTIs? You might be amazed by how much you can do at home to ease your pain.
Taking an antibiotic isnt really the only way to get over urinary tract infection symptoms.
In reality, some solutions dont require a prescription and they can be performed right at home in addition to any treatment your doctor has suggested. But beware with do-it-yourself home solutions and check in with your doctor prior to attempting a new method.
For example, mixing sodium bicarbonate and water as a drink to assist combat a urinary tract infection can be dangerous if you drink too much of it. About 5 percent of baking soda-related poisonings in California in between 2000 and 2012 were from drinking baking soda to alleviate a UTI, according to February 2014 research in the Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics.
You May Like: How Does Someone Get A Urinary Tract Infection
Causes Of Bladder Infection
This type of infection is often caused by bacteria, mostly E. coli , a group of bacteria normally found in the gastrointestinal tract. However, some yeasts or other bacteria may also cause bladder infections as well especially in people who have a weakened immune function.
Besides, sexual intercourse may also develop a bladder infection, but its not common. Women are at higher risks of bladder infection compared to men due to their anatomy particularly the short distance between the urethral opening and the bladder, making it easy to enter bacteria into the bladder.
When To See A Vet
These at-home treatments and remedies may be effective for clearing up minor infections, but more serious infections need to be treated by a professional animal doctor.
If your cat is experiencing mild or moderate symptoms, you can try these remedies to relieve their symptoms. If their symptoms show no sign of improvement in a few days, talk to a veterinarian. If your cat seems to be in pain or is unable to pass urine, see a vet immediately. This could be a sign of urethral obstruction, which can be fatal if not treated within 24 to 48 hours.
A vet may be able to prescribe antibiotics to target the harmful bacteria. Be sure to give your cat the full dose of prescribed antibiotics to prevent the UTI from returning or becoming resistant to treatment.
Even if youre pursuing professional treatment, these remedies can be effectively used alongside antibiotics to strengthen the bladder and balance your cats pH levels. Some can also be used as a daily supplement to prevent the UTI from coming back.
Also Check: Sore Throat And Urinary Tract Infection
A Pharmacist Can Help With Utis
You can ask a pharmacist about treatments for a UTI. A pharmacist can:
- offer advice on things that can help you get better
- suggest the best painkiller to take
- tell you if you need to see a GP about your symptoms
Some pharmacies offer a UTI management service and can prescribe antibiotics if they’re needed.
Are There Any Home Remedies For A Urinary Tract Infection
The best “home remedy” for a UTI is prevention . However, although there are many “home remedies” available from web sites, holistic medicine publications, and from friends and familymembers there is controversy about them in the medical literature as few have been adequately studied. However, a few remedies will be mentioned because there may be some positive effect from these home remedies. The reader should be aware that while reading about these remedies , they should not to overlook the frequent admonition that UTIs can be dangerous. If the person does not experience relief or if his or her symptoms worsen over 1 to 2 days, the person should seek medical care. In fact, many of the articles about UTI remedies actually describe ways to reduce or prevent UTIs. Examples of home treatments that may help to prevent UTIs, that may have some impact on an ongoing infection, and that are unlikely to harm people are as follows:
There are over-the-counter tests available for detecting presumptive evidence for a UTI . These tests are easy to use and can provide a presumptive diagnosis if the test instructions are carefully followed a positive test should encourage the person to seek medical care.
Don’t Miss: Can Peyronies Cause Urinary Problems
How Common Are Urinary Tract Infections
Urinary tract infections are very common, occurring in 1 out of 5 women sometime in their lifetime. Though UTIs are common in women, they can also happen to men, older adults and children. One to 2% of children develop urinary tract infections. Each year, 8 million to 10 million visits to doctors are for urinary tract infections.
What Are Causes And Risk Factors For A Urinary Tract Infection
The urine is normally sterile. An infection occurs when bacteria get into the urine and begin to grow. The bacterial infection usually starts at the opening of the urethra where the urine leaves the body and moves upward into the urinary tract.
- The culprit in at least 90% of uncomplicated infections is a type of bacteria called Escherichia coli, better known as E. coli. These bacteria normally live in the bowel and around the anus.
- These bacteria can move from the area around the anus to the opening of the urethra. The two most common causes of this are improper wiping and sexual intercourse.
- Usually, the act of emptying the bladder flushes the bacteria out of the urethra. If there are too many bacteria, urinating may not stop their spread.
- The bacteria can travel up the urethra to the bladder, where they can grow and cause an infection.
- The infection can spread further as the bacteria move up from the bladder via the ureters.
- If they reach the kidney, they can cause a kidney infection , which can become a very serious condition if not treated promptly.
The following people are at increased risk of urinary tract infection:
The following special groups may be at increased risk of urinary tract infection:
Don’t Miss: Purina One For Urinary Tract Health
How To Cure Urinary Tract Infection In Males: Home Remedies That Works
The following seven viable home solutions from drinking lots of water, to applying heat, and wearing loose cotton clothing just might alleviate your painful UTI symptoms, or avoid them in the first place:
1. Get Your Fill of Water One of the first things to do when you have a urinary tract infection is to drink lots of water, doctors will tell you. Thats since drinking water can help flush away the bacteria thats triggering your infection, according to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases . This puts you on the right track for recovery.
How much should you drink? Go for half of your body weight in ounces of water, approximately 80 ounces a day, states Holly Lucille, ND, RN, a naturopathic doctor in personal practice in West Hollywood, California, and author of Creating and Maintaining Balance: A Womans Guide to Safe, Natural Hormone Health. If you weigh 140 pounds, that indicates you must try to get 70 oz of water a day. And if you have kidney disease, the NIDDK stresses caution: Check with your physician about how much fluid is safe for you to drink.
2. Load Up on Vitamin C for a Healthy Urinary Tract Getting a lot of foods high in vitamin C is essential, since huge quantities of vitamin C make urine more acidic. This prevents the growth of bacteria in your urinary tract, according to the Johns Hopkins Medicine health library. If you have an active UTI, taking vitamin C supplements may assist too.