Lifestyle Changes To Improve Uti
Besides these herbal medicines, Ayurvedic treatment for Urinary Tract Infections include lifestyle modifications. Dr. Pooja suggests some lifestyle changes to improve UTI:
Reduce hot spicy oily food, drink plenty of water, eat seasonal fruits, use pink Himalayan salt, use barley water to drink, limit exposure to heat and don’t hold urination urge.
Yogasanas like Gomukhasan, Pawanmuktasan, Viparitkarni mudra, Moolbandh and pranayama can be helpful in strengthening the pelvic floor muscles and improve UTI.
According to Dr. Pooja, coriander and cumin seeds water and black raisin water can also be used to reduce UTI symptoms.
Ayurvedic Diet To Treat Uti Naturally
A diet involving Sweet, Bitter and Astringent tastes is highly beneficial to reduce inflammation and promote metabolism. These tastes help to pacify Pitta and Vata Dosha and also supply the required nutrients to remove the deficiencies.
Best Foods to Relieve UTI
- Include blood purifying and antioxidants rich foods in your daily diet. Some examples are: watercress, green leafy vegetables, black raisins, green tea, ginger and garlic.
- Prefer cooling and normal temperature beverages such as coconut water, still water, and herbal teas.
- Consume foods that promote your digestive fire and help you to reduce inflammation. Some examples are: apple, berries, mangoes, oranges, avocados, zucchini, cucumber, cabbage, celery, garlic, onions, sprouts, barley, oats and wheat.
- Eat vegetables and foods that help to support detoxification. Some examples are: Apricots, green banana, cherry, coconut, kiwi, lemon, carrots, green beans, leeks, oats, quinoa and rice.
- Oils to prefer are Ghee, Olive Oil, and Coconut Oil. These will provide you with the right source of energy to keep your metabolism optimum.
- Drink a lot of water to keep yourself hydrated at all times.
- Regular intake of probiotic foods in your diet will help to maintain a proper bladder pH, prevent recurrent Urinary Tract Infections, support the healthy bacteria in the gut and boost your immunity.
Supports Proper Function Of The Kidneys And Adrenals*
- Strengthens and rejuvenates the kidneys and adrenals*
- Supports healthy urinary composition and flow*
- Soothes and tones the urinary tract*
Kidney Formula is a rejuvenating tonic for the kidneys and adrenals. It supports healthy urinary flow and composition, assisting in the natural cleansing of the blood. This energizing combination of herbs supports a healthy, unobstructed urinary tract and works to cool and soothe the entire urinary system. Stress and natural toxins from food and the environment can be challenging to the kidneys and adrenals over time, causing low energy and fatigue. Kidney Formula cleanses and nourishes these organs, infusing strength and improving resilience to such challenges.*
Read Also: Causes For Urinary Incontinence In Elderly
How To Heal A Uti With Ayurveda
The Ayurvedic approach to healing a UTI is a process of putting your 3 doshas back in balance. There are specific routines for UTI treatment that are targeted toward each dosha.
To re-balance vata dosha, you can try a full-body or local massage with vata-alleviating medicated oils or local heat above the pelvis. For pitta dosha, Ayurveda experts recommend a cold bath, cooling oils, and cooling pastes. And for kapha dosha, you can try a treatment of bitter and cleansing herbs.
Beyond these measures, Ayurveda also takes into account the lifestyle aspects of UTI treatment and prevention. For example, yoga and meditation treatments can prevent emotional imbalance.
Your Ayurvedic treatment will likely include herbs you can take to boost your bodys response. These include
Urinary Tract Infection In Men
Urinary tract infection does not commonly afflict males. It is more commonly found in females.
In hospitalized patients, urinary catheter placement accounts for more than 70 % of the urinary tract infections in males.
Catheterized urinary tract becomes more prone to catch bacterial infections and it may even rise up, to affect the bladder.
Read Also: Bard Latex Free Urinary Drainage Bag
Ayurvedic Treatment Of Urinary Tract Infection
What Are Unrinary Tract Infections
Infections that occur in kidney, urethra and bladder are called as urinary tract infections. These infections are caused by bacteria like Klebsiella, Enterococcus, Staphylococcus and Proteus. Sexually transmitted organisms like Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhea are also responsible for urinary tract infections. Women are more vulnerable to UTI than men because the urethra in women is shorter as compare to men.
Don’t Miss: Can Vitamin D Cause Urinary Tract Infections
Effective Ayurvedic Remedies To Cure Urine Infections At Home
Ayurveda can be effective in treating urine infection without any side-effects. Here are some herbal treatments to try at home.
Infection can be of various kinds depending on the cause and location of infection. Urine infections are also one type of infection that can be caused because of inflammation of kidneys, Ureters, urethra and bladder. In most of the conditions, urinary tract infection occur because of bacterial infection, however it could also be because of fungi and virus. Urine infections get severe when these bacteria begin to multiply in the urinary tract causing pain and inflammation of tissues. Ayurveda has been providing long term cure to relief symptoms of urine infection and reduce risk of problems. Let us check how Ayurveda can treat this condition and remedies that help to eradicate symptoms.
Foods To Avoid In Uti
In Ayurveda Urinary Tract Infections are considered to be a result of faulty lifestyle and foods. Excessive consumption of salty, sour, hot, spicy, and heavy to digest foods vitiates the Doshas resulting in inflammation and poor metabolism.
- Avoid high protein diet and animal products like meat, dairy, seafood and eggs.
- Get rid of excess sugars, processed foods and spicy foods in your diet.
- Avoid poor fats, fried foods, heavy to digest and stale foods.
- Reduce the amount of dairy and animal products from your diet.
- Avoid bladder irritants, such as carbonated beverages , smoking, caffeine , and alcohol etc.
- Tomatoes and tomato based products, sugar, chocolate, and highly spiced foods can also create pain in the bladder.
- Reduce intake of artificial sweeteners particularly aspartame.
Recommended Reading: Cystex Urinary Pain Relief Directions
Herbal Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections By Planet Ayurveda
According to ayurvedic concept UTI is known as Pittaj Mutrakrichhra, which is due to the aggravated Pitta Dosha. Pitta as per Ayurvedic represents heat or fire. So, the diet and lifestyle are very much responsible to increases Pitta which results to UTI. Aggravated Pitta produces heating toxins in the body which accumulate in the mutravahi strotas and leads to imbalance in the properties which fights against infection in the urinary system.
Planet Ayurveda provides best combination of effective herbal remedies such as UTI Care Pack for natural treatment of urinary tract infections. These herbal remedies are manufactured from 100% pure and natural herbs without the use of any chemicals, binders, fillers, colors, yeast, starch, preservatives or additives. These remedies are prepared under the supervision of renowned Ayurveda experts.
When To See A Healthcare Provider
If you suspect that you have a UTI, consult your healthcare provider as soon as possible.
Even mild infections can quickly worsen and spread to other parts of your body, potentially leading to very serious health consequences.
Thus, attempting to diagnose and treat yourself for a UTI without the guidance of a medical professional is not recommended.
Instead, communicate openly and let your healthcare provider know if youre interested in trying herbal alternatives instead of antibiotics. They will be able to help you create the safest, most effective treatment plan for your infection.
Even mild UTIs can quickly worsen and cause more serious complications. Thus, its important to seek help from a qualified healthcare professional and discuss your desire for a more natural treatment plan.
Recommended Reading: Urinary Tract Infection Toddler Girl
Symptoms Of Urinary Tract Infection
Though sometimes, there will not be any symptoms with urinary disorders most people will experience some of the following symptoms.
- Frequent and urgent need to urinate
- Urinating frequently but in small amounts
- Painful urination
- Strong-smelling or foul-smelling urine
The severity of these symptoms will vary from person to person.
Health Complications of Untreated Urinary Tract Infections
Most Urinary Tract Infections confine in the bladder, the pouch-shaped organ where urine is stored before peeing. If the urinary disorders are left untreated or there is delay in treatment, then the bacteria can carry on multiplying and travel up the ureters to multiple body organs causing serious symptoms.
When the bacteria reach one or both kidneys, it can cause an infection in the kidneys called pyelonephritis . This can lead to fever, chills, dehydration, back pain and even sepsis.
How Do Utis Occur
These infections occur when bacteria enter the urinary tract. Its not something only people with vaginas experience, but it is more common in this population. In order to understand where UTIs come from, you should first understand the urinary tract.
Whats important to know is that the urinary tract is a complex system. It interacts with your entire body, and the cause of a UTI may be from elsewhere in the body.
For example, if you havent been drinking enough water, that could put you on the path to a UTI. This is because the urinary tracts design is to experience the flow of urine on a regular basis. If youre not taking in enough water, you may not be releasing enough urine to clean the tract.
Urine may not seem like the cleanest thing in the world, but it actually has low bacteria growth as it exits your body. Bacteria will quickly arrive once the urine leaves your body, but the passage through the urinary tract should be a clean one.
If you are holding your pee for any reason or arent drinking enough water, your body may not be flushing bacteria from your urinary tract as it should. And if you have a UTI, your urine may already lend itself to bacterial cultures even within the body.
Some of these changes are hormonal. Progesterone levels during pregnancy can affect the muscles in your urinary tract, disrupting the usual processes. Other changes are due to the physical pressures that can build up in a pregnant persons body.
Also Check: How To Get Rid Of Urinary Tract Infection Pain
Some Other Medications For Utis:
Note: This article is designed for the general management of UTI according to Ayurvedic principles. Please do not use this information for your self-diagnosis and treatment without the proper guidelines of a professional. If you wish to follow the Ayurveda program, you are advised to book a consultation with a qualified Ayurveda doctor who is specialized to design a personal program comprising a diet, a combination of herbs, and a detox program according to your personal needs. Sunshine Ayurveda offers effective and holistic management of UTI based upon the ancient principles of Ayurveda.
Dr. Ram Mani Bhandari
How To Prevent Urinary Tract Infections
Here are a few tips that can help you to prevent a urinary tract infection or its reoccurrence
- Keep your genital area dry and clean
- pee as soon as possible after the sexual act
- wipe from front to back when you go to the toilet
- Drink plenty of water so that the frequency of urination increases to flush out bacteria
- avoid drinks that irritate your bladder such as alcohol, coffee, soft drinks
Recommended Reading: What Food Is Good For Urinary Tract Infection
What To Be Taken
- One should drink plenty of water because it helps in flushing out the bacteria which are responsible for urinary tract infections.
- Consume the foods which are rich in vitamin C like amla, oranges, tomatoes and grapes. These fruits help to make urine acidic. It helps to inhibit the growth of bacteria which are associated with urinary tract infections.
- It has been observed that cranberry juice also helps to reduce the urinary tract infections.
- Take high fiber food in your diet.
- Include probiotics in your diet like yogurt because they contain the bifid bacteria and lactobacilli. These are the beneficial microorganisms that help to strengthen the urinary tract.
Risk Factors Of Urinary Tract Infections
- More common in women.
- Urinary tract abnormalities Babies born with urinary tract abnormalities. These abnormalities back up the urine in the urethra and cause infections.
- Blockages in the urinary tract Kidney stones and enlarged prostrate trap urine in the bladder and cause infections.
- Suppressed immune system- Diseases that impair the immune system like diabetes can increase urinary infections.
- Catheter use- People who use a catheter to urinate have an increased risk of urinary tract infection.
You May Like: Urinary Incontinence In Young Women
Etiology/ Causes Factors Of Utis
UTI is known as Mutrakricchra in Ayurveda and has several etiologies or root causes attributed to it. Various unhealthy food and activities cause aggravation of vata , pitta, and kapha in the body. The vitiated state of tridosha along with mandagni produces ama. Which when mixed with dosha becomes sama . This affects the mutra vaha srotas and gives rise to mutrakrichhya.
- Chronic indigestion
- Intake of food or medicines that are excessively pungent and harshly drying in nature
- Habitual intake of alcohol.
- Excessive intake of meat and fish
- Irregular and yet frequent intake of food before the previous meal is digested
- Regularly riding on the back of fast-moving animals/vehicles
What Are The Two Types Of Urinary Tract Infections
The two types of urinary tract infections are:
- Simple urinary tract infections that occur in healthy persons having a normal urinary tract. It gets managed within 2 to 3 days of the treatment.
- Complicated urinary tract infections: These occur in people that have abnormal urinary tract. In this case, the antibiotics are not able to treat the bacteria that result in the formation of infections. This type of infection needs a longer period for proper cure between 7 to 14 days. People are more prone to complicated UTIs as compared to a simple one.
You May Like: Reasons For Urinary Tract Infection In Females
What Is Urinary Tract Infection
Urinary Tract Infection is becoming one of the most serious and common infections affecting millions worldwide. Urinary Tract Infection is the infection of the urinary system which includes the kidney, bladder, urethra, and ureters but the most affected parts are the lower tracts. Urinary tract infections typically occur when bacteria enter the urinary tract through the urethra and begin to multiply themselves in the bladder which causes trouble while peeing. In other words, it can be said that reduction in the clearing of the bladder or anything that irritates the urinary tract can be called a UTI. Most UTIs are caused by bacteria but some are caused by fungi and viruses. UTI are categorized by the upper and lower tract infection according to their severity thus symptoms may also vary. This infection is more common in women than men due to anatomical differences which is the smaller size of the urethra in females making it easier for bacteria to invade the bladder. ….
What Are The Preventive Measures That Should Be Taken During Urinary Tract Infections
There is a different preventive measure that should be taken during UTIs are:
- Drink plenty of water as it will dilute the urine and flush out all the bacteria from the urinary tract.
- Always empty your bladder after intercourse
- Avoid using deodorant sprays, powders, and other products that irritate your urethra.
- Always wear loose clothes and cotton undergarments to keep your urethra dry.
- The genital area should be kept clean with a daily routine.
Don’t Miss: What Could Cause A Urinary Tract Infection
Causes Of Urinary Tract Infections
- Sexual intercourses are also responsible for urinary tract infections.
- To avoid pregnancy, women use the diaphragm that also can lead to these infections.
- Some complications like menopause and spinal cord injury are also associated with urinary tract infections.
- It has been observed that immune compromised patients are more prone to these infections.
- Unhygienic conditions like improper washing of hands also increase the chances of urinary tract infections.
- Hospitals are also major cause of urinary tract infections. There is a diagnostic method named as catheterization, in which a tube is inserted into urethra for people who have problems during urinating.
What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of Urinary Tract Infections
The different signs and symptoms of urinary tract infections are mentioned below:
- Burning sensation while passing urine
This shloka says that due to an imbalance of Vata there is a pricking pain in the bladder and groin area. The flow of urine is slow and dropwise. When there is an imbalance of Pitta dosha the urine that passes is dark yellow along with blood, very painful and causes a burning sensation.
- Pain during urination
: : :
This shloka states that when Vata, Pitta, and Kapha individually or in combination, these three doshas when enters the bladder disturbs the urinary system. In a person, it causes pain while passing urine.
Don’t Miss: Medication To Stop Urinary Urgency